Pool Closing Service And Kits Lehigh Valley
Poconos PA. Pool - Winterizing Tips And Procedures
|WINTER CLOSING KITS NOW AVAILABLE
CALL TODAY TO SCHEDULE YOUR WINTER POOL CLOSING - 610-377-5637
The weather is cooling down which means it's time to purchase what you need to properly close your pool for the winter!
Purchase a Siphon or Cover Pump to pump the water off the cover throughout the winter to avoid extra weight on the cover before it freezes!
PDC SPA & POOL WORLD
701 Bridge Street
Lehighton, PA 18235
|You have permission to publish this article electronically or in print, free of charge, as long as the
links & bylines are included.
A courtesy copy of your publication would be appreciated. © Copyright 2007 PDC Spa Pool World Inc.
SWIMMING POOL MAINTENANCE – SWIMMING POOL CARE AND WINTERIZING TIPS
By Robin Frey – PDC Spa & Pool World
Winterizing your pool is a very important aspect of pool care. Even in the winter your
pool and equipment need to have specific treatment to protect them from stains, scale and
corrosion. A properly winterized pool will also save time and money in the spring by
being easier to reopen.
TO CLOSE YOUR POOL FOLLOW THESE STEPS!
1. Items Needed: Winter cover, air pillow, winter plate for skimmer box, gizzmo for
skimmer hole, return plug, cover pump, filter cleaner, and a winter chemical
2. Clean your pool completely by brushing the walls and vacuuming the bottom.
Pool water MUST be clear before closing your pool.
3. Balance your water by adjusting total alkalinity first, then pH, followed by
calcium hardness. Make sure your chlorine level is between 3 -5
4. Now add the Winter Shock – dissolve the shock in water before adding to pool
5. Next add the Winter Algaecide ( Winterizer) to prevent algae growth over the
6. Lastly, add the Stain & Scale Control to prevent staining of the liner over the
7. After all the chemicals have been added, operate pool filter for 8 to 12 hours.
8. Now backwash the filter and thoroughly clean the filter using Filter Cleaner
before disconnecting the equipment from the pool and /or before storing the
equipment indoors for the winter. Never let a filter remain dirty over the winter
because deposits and scale can harden, leading to major cleanup and potential
repair costs in the spring. Note: Do not use Muratic acid to clean filter grids-the
acid damages the DE grids while sitting over the winter.
9. Drain the pool water 2” below the lowest eyeball jet. Attach the skimmer closure
plate, gizzmo, and return plug(s). Be sure to also drain water from the filter,
pump, heater, chemical feeder, and hose to prevent freeze damage. (Store all
equipment indoors over the winter.)
10. Clean and store skimmer basket, pump strainer basket, ladder, hoses, and other
pool maintenance equipment indoors. It is best to store all items together in a box
so you can easily locate everything you need in the spring. Also store your test kit
and liquid chemicals indoors and out of the reach of children.
11. Place an air pillow under the cover to help prevent expansion of water which
could cause wall damage. (Note: Do not fully inflate air pillow.) Use one 4 X 8 air
pillow for pools 12’ to 21’ round. Use two 4 X 5 air pillows for 24’ round and
above and for all oval pools. Note: Using pool cover clips will help hold your
winter cover on more securely during windy winter storms.
12. Cover your pool with a solid winter cover to keep dirt and leaves out of your pool
for an easy spring clean-up.
13. Important: If a large amount of water should collect on your cover over the
winter, remove by using a siphon or cover pump. If you fail to do this, your cover
could become too heavy and tear from the excess weight.
14. Following these simple tasks NOW, will allow you to have a NICE and EASY
15. REMEMBER: Closing your pool later in fall and opening early in April will help
to prevent water problems from developing.
You have permission to publish this article electronically or in print, free of charge, as long as
the links & bylines are included. A courtesy copy of your publication would be appreciated.
© Copyright 2007 PDC Spa Pool World Inc.
We hope these tips help you. Remember to call us or come into our store if you have any problems or concerns with your swimming pool -- we are here to help you make the best of your swimming pool season!!
PDC Spa and Pool World
| HAVE A SAFE AND HAPPY FALL & WINTER - THANK YOU FOR YOUR POOL BUSINESS
WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU IN THE SPRING!!